Effects of climate change concern us all
Climate change is a topic that has been attracting wide attention. As the effects of climate change continue to impact us, it is time to strengthen our exchange of experiences and to develop best practice examples with regard to adapting to the effects of climate change. In this context, water management issues are of great importance and can be more effectively treated from a regional perspective.
Cooperation to meet the future challenges
Future-oriented, close cooperation in the Danube region is an important objective of Austrian foreign policy. The Austrian Ministry for European and International Affairs has therefore offered to host a conference on the effects of climate change on the Danube river basin.
The conference was organised in cooperation with the Austrian Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management and the ICPDR. The conference addressed the effects of climate change in the Danube River Basin, focussing on the needs for adaptation from a water management point of view, especially when implementing the EU Water Framework Directive. A key piece of European legislation, the Directive rewrites existing water legislation into a new overarching programme to deliver long-term protection of the water environment and to improve the quality of all waters – ground and surface waters – and associated wetlands.
Implementation of the Directive will take place through a series of planning cycles. This will allow long-term environmental trends such as climate change to be taken into account, and provide the opportunity to develop answers for challenging questions. It is high time to start!
- Conference Proceedings (290.6 KB)
- Keywan Riahi: Global Challenge of Climate Change (Presentation) (2.42 MB)
- Manfred Grasserbauer: The Challenge of Climate Change for Europe (Presentation) (10.96 MB)
- Susanne Pfeifer: Research Findings of PRUDENCE (Presentation) (3 MB)
- Peter Gammeltoft: EU Response to Climate Change, Water Scarcity and Droughts (Presentation) (897.72 KB)
- Andrej Ceglar: Effects of Climate Change to the Alps (Presentation) (1.18 MB)
- Michael Becker: Climate Change and Water Management in the German Danube Region (Presentation) (882.09 KB)
- Andras Horanyi: Climate Change in CEE - CLAVIER Project (Presentation) (1.7 MB)
- Gheorghe Constanti: Action Plan - Scarcity and Droughts, Romania (Presentation) (4.18 MB)
- Otto Pirker: Hydropower in Europe and Climate Change (Presentation) (1.61 MB)
- Otto Schwetz: Navigation and Climate Change (Presentation) (4.08 MB)
- Christine Bratrich: Adaptation to Climate Change – Concerns WWF (Presentation) (3.06 MB)
- Thomas Stratenwerth: Impulse presentation for discussion (669.14 KB)
The best way to protect and manage water is by close international co-operation between all the countries within the river basin – bringing together all interests upstream and downstream. All countries of the European Union are using a river basin approach for water management since the adoption of the EU Water Framework Directive.