The Danube River Basin covers 10% of Continental Europe and is home to over 80 million people speaking 17 official languages. The main river, the Danube, flows through ten countries while the full basin including its tributaries covers nine more, making the Danube the most international river in the world. It is a unique artery through the heart of Europe, connecting East to West and Black Forest to Black Sea, and strengthening an often-overlooked shared cultural heritage for millions of Europeans.
A wide variety of information can be visualised in an easily consumable manner in map form.
As a tool for the ICPDR and its stakeholders, maps are immutably valuable assets that quickly highlight the transboundary nature of Danube concerns. In line with the EU Water Framework Directive (WFD), we seek to pursue three ‘pillars of action’ to improve the lives of citizens in the Danube River Basin (DRB):
- “Cleaner” water
- A “Healthier” home for aquatic animals and plants
- A “Safer” environment for people to live without the fear of floods
Note that maps of monitoring stations can also be found in the TNMN Yearbooks.
The following sets of thematic maps are available:
- With a total area of over 800,000 km², the Danube River Basin covers 10% of Continental Europe. While the main river flows through ten countries, the full basin including its tributaries covers nine...
- Within the boundaries of the Danube River Basin, several distinct ecoregions have been defined, based on the different geographical distributions of fauna and flora depending on the natural...
- All maps of the Danube River Basin Management Plan Update 2021 in high resolution files.
- The following maps have been produced for the Danube River Basin Management Plan Update 2015. The individual map files have a higher resolution.
- The following maps have been produced for the Danube Flood Risk Management Plan 2015. The individual map files have a higher resolution than in the report.
- Maps of the Analysis of the Tisza River Basin 2007
- Maps of the WFD Roof Report 2004 Common layers: Danube River Basin District (DRBD), Danube, Tributaries (river basins > 4,000 km²), Lakes (surface area > 100 km²), Lagoons (surface area >...
Principal International Alert Centres (213.08 KB) Principal International Alert Centres in the Danube River Basin
Sava River Basin Overview Map (1.55 MB) Sub-river Basin of the Danube River Basin District, January 2006
Prut River Basin Overview Map (5.28 MB) Sub-basin of the Danube River Basin District, June 2006
- MAP - Hydropower Plants in the Danube River Basin (2.64 MB)