WHAT ARE THE PRODUCTS AND ACTIVITIES?
1. SUPPORT FOR MEETING EU WFD REQUIREMENTS
The DRP contributed significantly to the completion of the Danube River Basin Analysis, through providing support for developing of analytical documents, as well as support for capacity building workshops and traings.
2. SUPPORT FOR DANUBE SUB-BASINS
DRP activities have supported the enhancement of Integrated River Basin Management (IRBM) and implementation of the WFD at the sub-basin level, especially for the Sava and Tisza river basins as well as for the Prut River Basin.
3. TECHNOLOGICAL SUPPORT FOR DANUBE RBM
Effective RBM begins with quality information about the status of the environment and pressures impacting it. In the Danube Basin, technologies have continuously been enhanced by the DRP to provide the best information possible. This includes the following:
- The Trans-National Monitoring Network’s (TNMN) providing an overall view of pollution and long-term trends in water quality and pollution loads in the major rivers of the Danube Basin, has been strengthened to meet the WFD’s strong requirements for monitoring.
- Bottom sediments trapped behind Romania and Serbia’s ‘Iron Gates’ dam were sampled and tested for pollution including heavy metals, organics and nutrients.
- A support has been provided for development of ‘Inter-calibrated’ methods that are compliant with the WFD for sampling and assessing ‘macrozoobenthos’ - a ‘biological quality element’ that is one determinand of ‘good ecological status’ under the WFD.
- Development of a prototype for the Danube GIS was supported as one of the key issue important for WFD implementation.
- The ‘MONERIS’ model is being enhanced to better estimate nutrient loads in rivers, to fill data gaps observed in monitoring programmes in the Danube Basin.
4. GRANTS FOR DANUBE NGOS
Some 130 financial grants were awarded to NGO projects in the Danube Basin through the DRP’s Small Grants Programme. Many of these were geared to strengthening or supporting Danube Basin RBM.
5. PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA
‘15 Years of Managing the Danube River Basin: 1991 - 2006’: This colour brochure presents the key political decisions made related to building RBM in the Danube River Basin over 15 years and their results – from developing new programmes, institutions and the DRPC to environmental progress. Lessons learned in applying IRBM are presented with the hope of their transferability to other basins, as is the Danube outlook for the next 15 years. The document shows how a clear win-win situation resulted between the UNDP/GEF, ICPDR, EU and the Danube countries.
‘Thirteen countries, one river, one law’: This feature-length story presents how the Danube countries are taking steps to meet the EU WFD and clean up their waters in the Danube Basin. The story was printed in the June 2006 issue of Green Horizons, a magazine about the environment in Central and Eastern Europe published by the Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe (REC).
Stories have also been developed for the DRP sub-project dealing with testing sediment behind the Iron Gates, and for NGO projects on RBM that received DRP Small Grants.
Implementing ecological status assessment in line with requirements of the EU WFD using specific bio-indicators
- Adapting and implementing common approaches and methodologies for stress and impact analysis with particular attention to hydromorphological conditions (463.09 KB)
- Developing the typology of surface waters and defining relevant reference conditions (463.09 KB)
- Economic analysis according to the EU Water Framework Directive in the Danube River Basin (288.3 KB)
- Harmonization of DRB River Typologies (362.15 KB)
- Development of Sava River Basin Management Plan – Pilot Project (2.19 MB)
- Prut River Basin Management – Case Study (3.9 MB)
- Final report – phase 1: Support for TNMN and EMIS Inventory Harmonization (3.24 MB)
- Review and recommendations for upgrade of TNMN (1.26 MB)
- Water quality standards and classification for Nutrients (3.21 MB)
- Biological database (523.99 KB)
- Iron Gate Sediments Evaluation - Synthesis report (2.74 MB)
- Final report - Romanian Assessment of Sediments at Iron Gates (573.88 KB)
- Serbian Assessment of Sediments at Iron Gates (1.73 MB)
- Technical assistance for sediments assessment (2.33 MB)
- River Basin Management Tools: Intercalibration - Technical Implementation and Communication of the WFD Intercalibration Exercise in the DRB (1.06 MB)
- Danube GIS System Definition & Design (2.93 MB)
- Danube GIS Prototype (4.27 MB)