The main subjects of this year’s Joint Statement Meeting will include progress in navigation and environmental protection with the focus on regional development; EU water management, together with environmental protection, will also be one of the topics discussed.
The initiative towards organising joint actions in navigation between Danube River Basin countries has been launched in 2007 by the ICPDR in cooperation with the Danube Commission and the International Sava Commission. The overall goal was to develop and commit to a “Joint Statement on Guiding Principles for the Development of Inland Navigation and Environmental Protection in the Danube River Basin”. This was achieved in autumn 2007.
The next step was the conclusion of the "Joint Statement on Inland Navigation and Environmental Sustainability in the Danube River Basin" in October 2007. In January 2009 and March 2010, the responsible government authorities and interest groups have met again in Budapest and Zagreb respectively, to discuss the progress achieved and how to improve the application of the Joint Statement in waterway projects.
Inland navigation can contribute to making transport more environmentally sustainable, particularly where it substitutes for road transport. It can, however, also have significant influence on river ecosystems, jeopardizing the goals of the EU Water Framework Directive, which aims for the “good ecological status” of all waters by 2015. The 3rd Joint Statement Meeting will contribute to further improve the balance between economic, social and environmental needs in inland navigation.
Agenda for the 3rd Joint Statement Mtg (52.75 KB) 5-6 April 2011, Vienna
3rd Joint Statement Meeting: Minutes (60.49 KB) Minutes of the 3rd Meeting on the Follow-up of the Joint Statement (Vienna, 5-6 April 2011)
- The participants list for the 3rd Joint Statement Mtg (25.84 KB)
Main ICPDR Presentation (3.07 MB) The main presentation by ICPDR, which opened the 3rd Joint Statement Meeting.
- DG Environment (Ms Marieke Van Nood) EU water management and environmental protection (1.77 MB)
- via donau (Mr Robert Toegel) - Integrated River Engineering Project Danube East of Vienna (7.12 MB)
- Slovak Waterborn Transport Development Agency (Mr Vladimir Novak) - Waterborne Transport Development Agency (215.25 KB)
- Hungarian Ministry of National Development (Mr Tamas Marton) - Written Statement (48.18 KB)
- PLOVPUT Serbia (Mr Dusko Isakovic) - Current state of IWT bottleneck projects in Republic of Serbia and Republic of Croatia (3.35 MB)
- River Administration of The Lower Danube (Ms Catrinel Catalina Dumbrava-Andrei) - IMPROVEMENT OF NAVIGATION CONDITIONS ON THE DANUBE BETWEEN CALARASI AND BRAILA (493.28 KB)
- Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine (Ms Olena Proskura) - VII international transport corridor (2.03 MB)
- Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine (Ms Olena Proskura)- VII international transport corridor (written statement) (37.13 KB)
- International Sava River Basin Commission (Mr Dejan Komatina) - Rehabilitation and development of navigation on the Sava river (1.96 MB)
- DG MOVE (Mr Cesare Bernabei) - Trans-European Transport Network, Inland Waterways Transport and the Danube Strategy (2.92 MB)
- via donau (Mr Simon Hartl) - PLATINA - Platform for the Implementation of NAIADES (1.81 MB)
- ICPDR (Mr Philip Weller) - The PLATINA Manual on Good Practices in Sustainable Waterway Planning (2.48 MB)
- The Danube Commission (Ms Ivana Kunc, Mr Horst Schindler) - The JS system for information exchange and developement at the Danube Commission (1.31 MB)
- via donau, ec dg regio (Mr Markus Simoner, Mr Serban Cucu) - Written Statement (10.8 KB)